How can an organisation make sure employees reach development goals set by HR and line managers? In day to day work the time spent on personal development is limited. Very often the sole and only feedback received by employees is given by yearly appraisals. For people to perform according to business goals, however, there is often a need for change in behaviour. But behavioural changes can only be achieved when development goals become part of the overall workplace environment. The Development Tracker gives you a smooth and simple process where key behaviours are empirically tracked and developed on a daily basis.
Powerful tool – multiple use
True development is managed in steps (milestones) and by shared responsibility for the achievement of individual goals. When managers and employees follow up together on goals and sub-goals results are surely to come. Development becomes a manageable process and natural part of your organisation’s day to day business. A tracking system involving managers and peers, with a direct link to your company’s competency model, takes your business further down the track.
Development Tracker is an online feedback system measuring employee performance with 100% individualized items focused on specified development areas. With multi-milestone measures to track and facilitate actual development it is a powerful tool that has many uses:
- monitor coaching processes or mentoring and enhance goal achievements
- pursue the results of appraisal talks
- complement to classical 360°-feedback ensuring precise follow-up improvement
- enable confident employees to run their own development processes
- evaluate seminars by measuring their real impact
The answer to HR’s basic ROI needs
Development Tracker is similar to a 360°-feedback system that enables tracking progress on all your intervention, development plans, and organizational change. It is designed to be integrated with your regular development and training activities. Since it is answered by stakeholders who are actually affected by the behaviour in question it is likely to have a direct positive effect on the development process. In a very simple and precise way Development Tracker is the answer to HR’s basic ROI needs.
When you start changing your behaviour and trying out new things, people will notice and change their perception of your performance. But how significant is this change? Maybe, in your own perception, you have changed your ways completely, while others are not seeing any change yet. On the other hand, you may have changed just a few things and not thought much of it, while others are perceiving remarkable progress. Hearing about your observers’ subjective perceptions of your behavioural change during the last milestone period will help you optimize the development process.
The DVT progress/milestone report is divided into the following parts:
- Behavioural goals: target behaviour/overall goal with sub-goals defined by the focus person.
- Observers: number of people observing and how often they have witnessed situations relevant for goal behaviour.
- Improvement report: charts displaying stakeholder’s improvement demand over milestone(s).
- Overall progress report: perceived progress by all observers compared with previous observation(s).
- Progress report by observer: individual perceptions of observers, with free comments to support development.
How to get on track?
For the Development Tracker to be valuable, it must become solidly embedded and be followed up. HUCAMA assists organisations to create an appropriate infrastructure around the Development Tracker. This includes a short online training in order to help members of the organisation to:
- Provide information about the instrument
- Conduct feedback sessions
- Coach employees on the basis of the results of the Development Tracker.
HUCAMA links your organization’s ambitions to your employees’ performance. We offer solutions that touch on performance management, leadership, competency development and selection.